Friday, August 12, 2011

Summer repairs

You know, some teachers spend a ton of time in the summer taking classes, going to workshops (I've done some of that this summer), and planning for the upcoming school year. Lately, I'm spending a good deal of summer time on maintenance issues. Yesterday I was in repairing a badly torn window shade....
BAD power supply, BAD power supply..
Now today - I went in hoping to swap out a power supply in one of my student computers. This computer was a back up anyway, and it had failed last April. No time to work on it during the school year. So I gave it a try today. Couple of notes to self: 1) good for you for keeping junkers around for spare parts and 2) do not forget to plug in the cable to the hard drive. That's a pretty important one. Success #1 for the day, the computer is up and running nicely.

Printer fixed!While I was working on that somebody came in to take a look at my HP Color LaserJet - down with a real bad jam for almost a year. Well, she managed to clear the jam, but there was no lcd display, no ethernet/usb response, so she had to leave. A few minutes later I got an email from the school district saying the school would have to replace it. Ha. This was a gift from my classroom parents a few years ago. I despondently started looking online for replacements - nothing that I could really afford. As I was getting ready to leave I decided to take the printer apart as far as I could. What the heck, nothing to lose. I didn't have to go too far before I found a little ribbon cable dangling around inside, obviously looking for a connection. I plugged it in to a likely spot, put the thing back together, and bingo. Nice laser color printer again.

No comments: